Thanksgiving Turkey Recipes
This recipe creates a very tender, juicy turkey that falls off the bone, and has a light citrus taste. The lemon and thyme blend together nicely and make the whole house smell delightful!
- 1 turkey, completely thawed
- 2 lemons, quartered
- 1 large onion, cut into eighths
- 4-6 cloves of garlic (Personal preference)
- 1 bundle of fresh thyme
- olive oil
Take your whole, completely thawed, turkey and remove the gizzards and any pouches from the inside cavity. Coat the entire turkey with olive oil and liberally salt and pepper the inside and outside of the turkey. It is easier to add the stuffing if the opening of the turkey is upright, you can get more in that way. Start by layering the stuffing ingredients a little at a time, and gently squeeze the lemons while putting them in to get the juices flowing. Set the turkey down, breast side down, sprinkle a little lemon and thyme on top of the turkey before completely covering with foil.
Bake per weight instructions, remove the foil and baste every 15 minutes for the last 2 hours of cook time. Once done, use the thermometer to check the thickest parts of the turkey, being careful not to touch the bones (they will give you an incorrect temp reading). Let sit for 10-15 minutes before carving.
The roasting pan is helpful with this turkey recipe since it catches all of the juices. There will be too much for a shallow pan and the rack makes it so the bird is nice and golden brown all the way around. The thermometer is recommended, even if you have a turkey with a “pop-up timer”, this way you can check all of the areas to make sure they are at the correct temperature for consumption.
Smoked Bourbon Roasted Turkey
This recipe was obtained from Pinterest from Cooks Well With Others:
For the Turkey:
- 1 1/2 gallons of water
- 1 1/2 cups kosher salt
- 3/4 cup real maple syrup
- 3/4 cup bourbon
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 12 black peppercorns
- 2 springs fresh rosemary
- 1 bunch fresh thyme
- 14-16 pound whole turkey
For Smoking the Turkey:
- 1 apple cut into wedges
- 1 lemon cut into wedges
- 1 orange cut into wedges
- 1 onion cut into wedges
- 2 springs fresh rosemary
- 1 bunch fresh thyme
- 3 Tbsps melted butter
For the Turkey Brine:
- In a very large pot (big enough for the turkey to fit into) combine the water, salt, maple syrup, bourbon, brown sugar, peppercorn, rosemary, and thyme. Bring to a boil. Boil for 1 minute and let the brine come to room temperature.
- Once the brine is at room temp add the turkey, breast side down. Refrigerate at least 24 hours.
Smoking the Turkey:
- Remove the turkey from the brine and pat dry with paper towels.
- Stuff the turkey with the wedges of apples, oranges, lemons, and onions and the fresh thyme and rosemary.
- Brush the melted butter over all sides of the turkey.
- Place the turkey in a smoker set to 225 to 250 degrees. Smoke the turkey for 30 minutes per pound (approx. 7 to 9 hours for a 14 to 16 pound turkey) or until internal temperature is 175 degrees in the dark meat.
Herbed Roasted Turkey in a Turkey Bag
Cooking a turkey new to you, or just looking for an easy bake and forget recipe? Cooking a turkey in an oven bag is not only simple but will produce a juicy very tender turkey for your Thanksgiving table.
- 1 oven cooking bag
- 1 Tbsp flour
- 1 thawed turkey
- 2 carrots, peeled and rinsed
- 2 stalks celery (cut in half)
- a few garlic cloves, peeled
- 1 medium onion, peeled & cut in half
- About 2 Tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 1 tsp dried rosemary
- 1 tsp seasoned salt
- 1 Tbsp dried rubbed sage
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
Shake the tablespoon of flour in the Oven Cooking Bag and place the bag in a large roasting pan. Remove giblets, rinse and dry turkey. Brush turkey with the vegetable oil, combine herbs and sprinkle all over turkey. Add the vegetables and cloves of garlic inside the bird cavity. Place turkey inside the oven cooking bag. Close oven bag with nylon tie. Then cut 6 (1/2-inch) slits in top of the cooking bag. Tuck ends of bag in pan.
Bake turkey per directions on the cooking instructions card that came with your oven bag. Remove turkey from oven after designated cooking time, allow to rest for 20 mins, slice and enjoy!
Related Posts You Might Like
Raising broad breasted turkeys for your table is easier than you think with a little planning and attention. Read about Tessa’s experience.
Amanda has hatched turkey poults allowing a broody turkey hen to set and hatch her babies. Read about the considerations on allowing your hen to set.
Today the Presidential turkey pardon is an annual American tradition that is celebrated every Thanksgiving. Many people wonder how this odd tradition came to be. Let’s dive into the history of how the President got involved with giving one turkey a second chance each November on the White House lawn.