Since January is National Soup month, we asked the Meyer Hatchery staff to share a tried and true chicken or egg soup recipe for you. This Chicken Tortilla soup recipe is shared by Cheryl, our store manager.
- Juice from 1 lime (about 2 T)
- boneless, skinless chicken thighs, excess fat trimmed
- 2 tsp hot chili powder
- 2 tsp oil
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 can (14 1/2 oz) jalepeño flavored diced tomatoes
- 3 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 avocado, peeled and cut into chunks
- 16 tortilla chips, broken in half
Heat broiler. Drizzle lime juice over chicken; sprinkle with 1 tsp of the chili powder. Coat broiler pan with nonstick cooking spray. Broil chicken for 5 to 6 minutes per side or until 160 on an instant read thermometer. Remove and set aside.
Heat oil in a large, deep pot over medium heat; add garlic and remaining chili powder. Cook 1 minute. Add tomatoes (with their juice), broth and 1 cup water. Bring to a boil, and reduce heat to medium-low and cook 10 minutes, covered.
To serve, tear chicken into small pieces and divide among 4 bowls. Divide the tomato broth among the 4 bowls; top each with cheese, avocado and tortilla pieces.
Per serving: 364 calories, 24 g fat (7 sat), 20 g protein, 20 g carb, 6 g fiber, 657 mg sodium, 60 mg cholesterol. This recipe was originally published in Family Circle on 11/29/05, page 124.