Chicken Hand Warmer
Winter is here! Don’t let your fingers get frostbitten while you tend to your flock, instead make yourself a set of chicken hand warmers! These chicken hand warmers are perfect for your daily chores or as a gift!
To make one chicken hand warmer, here are the materials needed:
- 2 – 4” x 4” square of fabric (cotton fabric with a tiny print works great)
- Scraps of felt (red and orange)
- Sewing machine
- Sewing needle
- Sewing pins
- 1 – 1 1/2 cups uncooked rice
How To Assemble Chicken Hand Warmer:
- First using your scraps of felt, make a red comb (¾ to 1 inch), an orange beak (¾ to 1 inch), and a tail feather. For the tail feather, you can cut a 2” half circle and cut some slits in it. Feel free to make your tail feathers any color.
- Next, take your squares and place one facing right side up on your work surface. In the top right corner line up your comb with the flat side along with the fabric, and the point of the comb facing down.
- You can also place your beak in the upper right-hand corner, again facing inward.
- Now you can take your other fabric square, and place it on top of everything, right side facing in. You can take a few pins to hold everything in place.
- Along the bottom of your square piece, using a pencil mark a 1 inch opening in the center. When you are stitching, you will leave this spot open for filing your chicken when you’re done.
- Stitch along the top of your square, down the right side, and to your marked line along the bottom. The left side will be left open.
- After you skip over the 1-inch opening, finish stitching along the bottom.
- Next, you will stitch in your tail feathers. Open up your square and fold it so that the stitched seams now meet in the center.
- Place your “tail feathers” in the center again facing inward and stitch along the seam.
- Make sure you have trimmed all your threads and extra fabric. Using your 1-inch hole you left open so you can turn your hand warmer right side out. Make sure to push the corners out, and watch your chicken appear!
- Fill your chicken with uncooked rice, and hand stitch the 1-inch hole closed.
- To use your chicken hand warmer, microwave 20 seconds at a time until the hand warmer is warm enough for you. Put in your pocket and enjoy!
*As an Amazon Associate, Meyer Hatchery may earn from qualifying purchases made through links posted on this site.
Related Posts You Might Like
We all know, or ARE, that crazy chicken lady. You know, that person who talks to chickens. Here’s a gift giving guide for “those” people.
Meyer Makes: Chick ElfOur Chick on the Shelf is coming back for the 3rd year! We have a ton of fun watching what our Chick Elf does each day, and we would love to see the fun they have on your homestead! If you would like to participate this holiday season, we have...
Learn how to make this dazzling chicken themed egg ornament to add some sparkle to your holiday decorating.