Holiday Baking? How About Homemade Chicken Treats
Looking to do a little baking for your chickens? Give this Homemade Chicken Treat Block recipe a try. The ingredients in this recipe will not only help your chickens stay warm and healthy especially during the winter months but will make a great boredom buster as well. This recipe is very easy, and you will have healthy treats for your chickens in no time.
Homemade Chicken Treat Block
- ½ cup molasses
- ½ cup coconut oil or lard (melted)
- 5 eggs
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 2 cups scratch
- ½ cup layer feed
- 1 cup Happy Hen Sunflower and Raisin Treats
- ½ cup Grubblies Black Soldier Fly Larvae
- ½ cup Happy Hens Mealworms
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 1 cup cornmeal
- ½ cup wheat flour
- 3 crushed cloves garlic
- ½ cup Meyer Hatchery Oyster Shells
- 3 Mini Loaf pans or a large muffin tin
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees.
- Prepare your pans by putting a little vegetable oil or nonstick spray in the pans to prevent sticking. You can use a mini loaf pan (this recipe will fill up 3) or a large muffin tin.
- Mix all of your wet ingredients in one bowl, and all of your dry ingredients in another.
- Combine all of your ingredients into one bowl and stir until everything is fully mixed. Your mix will look sticky and should hold its shape when formed into a ball in your hand. If not you can add another ¼ cup molasses to your mixture.
- Pour the mixture into your prepared pans. Use a piece of wax paper to push the mix firmly into the pans.
- Bake your Chicken Treat Blocks for 30 minutes or until brown.
- After baking allow the Treat Blocks to cool for 10 minutes. Remove the treats from your pans and put them on a cooling rack to cool completely.
- Store in cool dry place in a sealed container until you are ready to use the treats.
For an added treat after you have taken your Chicken Treat Blocks out of the oven and allowed them to cool slightly you can break the treats into pieces and put the pieces in the Happy Hen Treats Treat Ball, creating more fun and entertainment for your chickens.